Sunday, June 20, 2010

WHISKEY SOUR SUMMER

I like hanging out on my new balcony swinging my legs off the ledge, drinking out of a mason jar.
I just overall like feeling like there's a new chapter in my life. The relief that winter is far behind me.
Figuring out some kind of balance with drinking and being productive is off and on.
I get close, and then I fuck up. 23 years old and I feel like a fuck up. All these imperfections I try to just turn into bad jokes. The keys and phone I lost in just one night become something we laugh about on a stoop.
Waking up and mending my scraped up knees. I wake up some days feeling like an asshole, and it's back to the drawing board.

So, I try to fit in all these spectacular sounding plans.
Like maybe i'll tune up my bike and put a tape player on it, and ride around listening to the Shirelles.
Or maybe i'll make this fantastic fucking picnic and go on some kind of date that involves a pinata full of mini comics for us to lay around and read.
Or going to the library and catching up on some very late homework.
Or finally going to a triple feature at the Brew and View and eating a shit ton of pizza while watching Pee Wee's Big Adventure (or whatever they're playing).


But I never have the time. Or i'd rather catch up on all this sleep I never get. Or it just sounds so much more convenient to sit at a bar and share a cheap fucking pitcher of Old Style and talk about the stupidest shit.

I've had special moments while drinking. They're as real to me as special moments while I was sober. That's the honest fucking truth.
For the time being, I just like to hang out with a stupid grin on my face.

I didn't just type all of this up because I feel like there's something in my life I need to justify to anyone, or even myself.
The way I spend my nights and how I feel about it, change on a day to day basis. Mostly, i'm having fun, and trying to figure out what kind of person I am.
Sometimes i'm just happiest sitting on a stoop, a porch, or in a garage, after a hot fucking bike ride, drinking a cold shitty beer with a tight friend sitting beside me.

4 comments:

  1. matt bought some fancy scotch, but im sticking to my roots: mason jar scotch. i miss you terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see you again, K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying, really trying to save money for a (short) road trip. I only get saturday-sunday off for the next 6 months, but then I get a week's paid vacation!

    ReplyDelete